programs & services

Utility Assistance in Will County, Illinois

Will County Center for Community Concerns is able to assist eligible households to pay for utilities, like gas, electricity, water, and furnace repair assistance.

Low-income home energy assistance program logo

Utility Services May Include:

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is designed to assist eligible households pay for winter energy services, including gas, electric and furnace repair assistance.

Direct Vendor payment

The LIHEAP program will provide a one-time benefit to eligible households to be used for energy bills.

  • The amount of the payment is determined by income and household size.
  • An overdue bill or shut-off notice is not required.
  • You do not have to own your home or pay energy bills directly to be eligible for assistance.
  • Your source of fuel does not have to be natural gas or electricity in order to receive assistance.

Direct Vendor assistance may be either

  • A one-time payment made directly to your gas and/or electric supplier,
  • A one-time payment to you when heat is included in your rent, but only if your rent exceeds 30% of your income.

Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIP)

As an alternate option to the one-time direct vendor payment, the Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP) is available for LIHEAP eligible households who are customers of one of the following utilities: ComEd, Nicor Gas. Under PIPP, eligible households pay a percentage of their income, receive a monthly benefit towards their utility bill and arrearage reductions for every on-time payment they make, if applicable.

Emergency Furnace Repair or Replacement

The LIHEAP program also includes an Emergency Furnace component that will repair or replace non-operational heating systems for income-eligible homeowner-occupied residents. Homeowner must be able to show mortgage statement or property deed, tax bill, and be a Will County resident.

Utility Assistance

Will County Center for Community Concerns partners with ComEd Residential Special Hardship and the Emergency Food & Shelter Programs to provide utility assistance for eligible households.

Who is Eligible for Utility Assistance?

Households with a 30-day gross income that is at or below 200% of the poverty level.

How to apply:
Applications are taken Monday through Friday from 8am – 3pm, and Wednesday from 8am – 6:30pm, on a walk-in basis or until the list is full for that day.

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is still accepting application for income qualified households who have not applied since October 2, 2023

The Will County Center for Community Concerns, as administrator of the Energy Assistance Program in Will County, is assisting ALL income-eligible households with their natural gas, propane and/or electric bills and furnace assistance for inoperable heating systems.

Read more.

Learn more about LIHEAP

What Should I Bring to the Appointment?

Applicants will need to bring documentation to their appointment to apply for the energy assistance program.

View documentation needed

The following documentation is required to apply for assistance:

  • Gas and Electric bill
  • Water bill
  • Social Security Card for everyone in the household
  • ID or Driver’s License
  • Income for all household members for the last 30 days
  • If there is no income, any Household member age 18 or older will need proof that they are or are not receiving benefits from DHS (Public Aid) and IDES (Unemployment)
  • Print out from other agencies:
    – Food stamps
    – TANF – cash assistance
    – General assistance
    – Social Security
    – Veterans Assistance
    – Medical cards
    – Other public aid
  • Mortgage statement or Deed and tax bill, if applying for furnace assistance