Individual & Family Assistance

Water Assistance
Will County, Illinois

Water Assistance provides assistance to individuals or families who are threatened to have their water service disconnected or are deliquent on their water bill.

Who is Eligible for Water Assistance?

To be eligible for assistance, the household has to be within the income guidelines.

How to Apply

Applications are taken Monday through Friday from 8am – 3pm and Wednesday from 8am – 6:30pm on a walk-in basis, or until the list is full for the day.

All applicants must attend a financial literacy class. Payments are not made until the applicant has attended this class.

Emergency Water Assistance
To apply for water bill assistance, applicants must be deliquent on their water bill. The water bill must be in applicants name or – if the water bill is in the landlord’s name – the rental lease must state that the tenant is responsible for paying the bill.

In order to provide the best possible service, applications for some services may require an appointment. Please call (815) 722-0722 for additional information when applying for services.

What Should I Bring to the Appointment?

Applicants will need to bring documentation to their appointment when applying for our emergency assistance program.

View documentation needed

The following documentation is required to apply for assistance:

  • Shut off or disconnection notice, current water bill.
  • Reason for emergency or delinquency. Applicant must have documentation to prove hardship.
  • Proof of residency, rental lease or mortgage statement.
  • ID of applicant.
  • Social Security Cards for all household members.
  • Proof of all expenses paid (receipts)  in the last 30 days.
  • Zero income households must prove how they are maintaining basic needs.
  • Proof of gross household income for 30 days prior to the date of application which may include:
    – Check stubs
    – SSA/SSI
    – Child support
    – Any documentation showing money coming into the household
  • Anyone 18 years or older in the household with no income MUST have proof of no income, like unemployment and/or documentation from DHS.
  • Print out of all benefits from DHS for:
    – Food stamps
    – TANF – cash assistance
    – Other public aid
    – Medical cards
  • Current bank statement

Applicants may be asked to bring in additional documentation depending on their household circumstances.