Homeowner resources

Home Weatherization Assistance in Will County, Illinois

The Illinois Home Weatherization Assistance Program (IHWAP) is designed to help income-eligible Will County residents save fuel and energy while increasing the comfort of their homes. Assistance is available to both homeowners and renters, and can be applied to single-family residents, multi-unit buildings, mobile homes, and townhouses and condos (within association guidelines).

Home Weatherization Services May Include:

An assessor will conduct an energy audit on approved residences to determine what measures will make the home more comfortable and energy-efficient. Once the assessment is complete, a contractor will be assigned to apply the appropriate measures. One of our staff will then assess the work to make sure each measure called for has been completed.

Home Weatherization Evaluation

  • Heating system: the furnace will be tested and repaired or replaced, if necessary
  • Insulation of exterior walls and attic areas
  • Weather-stripping of doors or replacement, if needed
  • Caulking of windows if needed
  • Sealing of other bypasses that allow heated or cooled air to escape from the home
  • Other energy conservation measures as funding allows, such as replacement of old refrigerators with new energy efficient models

Material and labor are free of charge to qualified homeowners. In order to provide services to leased homes or apartments, the landlord must agree to authorize work on the property may have to contribute to mechanical costs.

How to Apply

Applications are taken Monday through Friday from 8am – 3pm, and Wednesday from 8am – 6:30pm, on a walk-in basis or until the list if full for that day.

In addition to our main office location in Joliet, applications are taken at various outreach locations throughout Will County. Click on the link below for a list of outreach locations to identify the closest location to you and the schedule of when staff will be taking applications at that location.

What Should I Bring to the Appointment?

Applicants will need to bring certain documentation to their appointment to apply for our home weatherization program.

View documentation needed

The following documentation is required to apply for assistance:

  • ID
  • Social Security cards for all household members
  • Gross income for 90 days prior to date of application for every household member 18 years of age or older
  • Most recent gas and electric bills
    Proof of ownership:
    – Deed
    – Tax bill
    – Mortgage statement OR
    – Title
    – Copy of current lease, if renting
    Landlords will be contacted to provide a copy of property deed as proof of ownership

Other documents may be requested at time of application.